With about 40 days of summer holidays, a one in three chance of rain each day, and the average day trip to the seaside costing over £170, finding frugal ways to keep the kids entertained can be a challenge. There’s no need to foot the bill with expensive activities – kids can have hours of fun with old socks thanks to Love Your Clothes’ free bumper pack of crafty activities.
Odd socks, floppy socks and socks with a hole in the toe needn’t join the 616 million socks that end up in the bin each year. Get kids crafting and make a sock puppet – not only is it fun, it helps the environment too by keeping clothes in use for longer!
Not sure how? Clothing sustainability campaign, Love Your Clothes have teamed up with their ‘super crafters’ to create free and easy to follow step-by-step guides to make your own sock puppet. So whether it’s a rainy day or a fun activity to do in the garden, making a sock puppet can keep boredom at bay.
Get involved in the Lost Sock campaign by preventing a sock going into the bin to win fantastic prizes, including a £750 Virgin Experience Day voucher, which would be the perfect treat in time for October half term and Korbond ‘Family craft day kits’. All you have to do is snap and share your sock puppet or the ‘Sort Your Sock Stuff Out’ video through social media to be in with a chance to win.
Love Your Clothes will also be following the story of a long lost sock that has ambitions of becoming a pop star, culminating in the video which will be available August 11th for you to share. Follow the adventure and be part of the story to see if there’s a happy ending!
It’s not just the kids that can find uses for old sock, here are our top five household hacks:
- Protect your wooden floors from heavy furniture damage by cutting fabric squares from odd socks and placing them under the legs to prevent marks on the floor.
- Fight back against that bane of modern life – out of control cables. Socks are a great way of storing cables, especially in luggage when you're travelling.
- Make a mobile phone holder by placing your phone into a sock to prevent it from getting scratched when in your handbag or briefcase.
- Sure, you can buy dust or polishing cloths when the house needs sprucing up. But an odd sock works just as well and it's free! Put the sock on your hand, apply some polish if you're tackling the furniture, and away you go.
- Socks are also brilliant when you're cleaning or polishing cars, bikes or other metallic items.
So get involved and find out all the many ways you can keep your socks from the bin, and have fun doing it! To find out more, download the activities, or enter the competition, visit:
For more information, please contact:
Kirsty Warren | PR Officer | WRAP
Direct 01295 819924|Mobile 07815 509022
 closing dates for the competition will be September 23rd.